If you’ve managed to land a job that allows you to travel, the practicality and functionality of the things you take with you are essential. Learning to travel light becomes an important skill to maximize comfort while leaving nothing behind and your backpack becomes your best friend. Having a practical, high-quality backpack can become vital when working on the road, especially if you need to take your laptop and essential tools with you.
This article brings a well-studied selection of the 5 best backpacks for working while you travel. These backpacks meet the most basic needs of any traveling worker who’s looking for a practical bag that makes their travel experience a little easier and more comfortable.
What makes a backpack unique and reliable? The truth is that the answer depends on each person’s specific needs. Some people need space to store many things. Others only need their laptop, while some may even need their backpack to double as a charging station for their phones or electronic devices.
There are endless varieties of backpacks available on the market, and it can get a bit confusing when trying to choose the right one, so we’re here to simplify your search. Here is a list of five of the most top-rated and practical backpacks currently available on the market.
The Modoker Vintage Rucksack backpack is a convenient and stylish backpack for those travelers who like to travel in style with a vintage look. This backpack is functional, durable, and lightweight. It can take your laptop wherever you want, and it even has an external USB charging port.
- Practical, functional, and spacious.
- It has two padded compartments ideal for taking your laptop, tablet, or electronic devices wherever you want.
- Striking classic vintage-style backpack with an external USB charging port.
- Ergonomic, well-padded back panel and lightweight design for comfortable carrying.
- Storage capacity of up to 35L.
- It can be a bit more expensive than other regular backpacks.
- It might be too flashy, which can be a disadvantage for keeping a low profile and not drawing too much attention during your trip.
- It may not be an ideal backpack for very long trips or when you need to carry many things.
- It has a USB charging port and cable but does not include a power source to charge your phone.
The SwissGear Scansmart Laptop backpack is one of the most functional and practical backpacks currently available on the market. It is made with synthetic material designed to be resilient, comfortable, and durable. It has a padded pocket that can hold a laptop up to 17″, a floating pocket for a tablet, and other anti-theft pockets to store credit cards, ID, and valuable elements. This backpack also features a padded multimedia port and integrated ScanSmart Lay-Flat technology for faster security processing at airports.
- Reliable, sturdy backpack made of durable 1200D polyester.
- It is equipped with ScanSmart technology to allow airport security to scan your backpack without removing your laptop or electronics.
- Includes an accordion document organizer and removable keyed organizer compartment.
- It has multiple internal and external pockets for quick access.
- Comfortable to wear, equipped with padded straps.
- It can be somewhat expensive compared to other backpacks.
- It’s in high demand and can be challenging to find in stock.
- If you like colorful designs, this may not be the best option for you.
The Thule Subterra 25l backpack is made of 100% nylon. It can carry a laptop up to 15″ and a tablet up to 10″. It is a computer backpack with flexible capacity and easy access pockets. It has a secondary pocket that gives you quick and easy access to your laptop whenever you need it. In addition, this backpack has a molded area on one side that perfectly protects your phone or sunglasses. Internal zippered pockets also keep small items safe and accessible at the same time.
- It is made of highly resistant and durable nylon.
- It has a storage capacity of up to 25L.
- Perfect for carrying your laptop, tablet, or other electronic devices.
- Lightweight and easy to carry around.
- Side molded compartment perfect for safely carrying sunglasses, phone, or valuables.
- It is practical
- It is not the cheapest backpack on the market.
- Its design can be a bit confusing and might not be as padded as your laptop needs.
- It may not have the best anti-theft features since it opens very easily.
The AMBOR Anti Theft Laptop Backpack, as the name suggests, has an anti-theft design with durable metal zippers, a key lock attached to the backpack, and a hidden anti-theft pocket to protect your valuables. This backpack also comes with a USB charging port, an integrated headphone jack, a charging cable, and an internal headphone cable that allows you to charge your phone and listen to music while traveling or walking without using your hands.
The AMBOR Anti Theft Laptop backpack can hold a laptop up to 17″ and has plenty of space for your books, clothes, phone, folders, or whatever you need to carry. It is made of durable and eco-friendly nylon and equipped with padded “s” curved straps that make it comfortable.
- It is an inexpensive and durable backpack option.
- It is spacious and perfect for carrying your laptop, tablet, notebook, clothes, phone, or whatever you need to take with you.
- It has a USB port with an integrated internal cable to charge your phone and a headphone jack to listen to music wherever you want.
- It has an anti-theft design with secure zippers, a keyed padlock, and a hidden pocket to store your most precious items.
- It looks good, and it’s durable, made with eco-friendly nylon, equipped with padded “s” shaped straps and padding that allows ventilation for maximum comfort while traveling.
- It can be a bit small for long trips.
- It only has two main compartments.
- The padding can be slightly soft and not as durable as other backpacks.
This extra-large 52L backpack from SHRRADOO is perfect for those trips where you need to carry a little more than what would fit in your usual backpack. It has a capacity of up to 52L and, in addition to being spacious, it is made of durable material and is equipped with a practical USB port and an internal cable to charge your phone. In this backpack, you can carry your computer, tablet, phone, and you will have plenty of space for your clothes, jacket, and any other elements. It is the perfect backpack for traveling by plane as well as indoor and outdoor activities.
- It is one of the most spacious backpacks with more storage capacity available on the market. It can store up to 52L of luggage.
- The size/price/quality ratio is great.
- It has more than 20 independent pockets to organize all your items practically.
- It has an external USB charging port and an internal cable to charge your phone. It also has a headphone jack that allows you to listen to your favorite music from your device stored in your bag without using your hands.
- Despite the size, it is light, comfortable, and durable. It has padded shoulder straps, and the back padding has a design that dissipates heat quickly.
- It can be too big for some users.
- It has so many pockets that it might be a bit confusing.
- It may not be the most striking backpack on the market.
- It may not be durable for long-term usage, especially if you subject the bag to a lot of weight or heavy trips.
Without a doubt, these are the 5 best backpacks for work and travel. But as with everything, each of them has its positives and negatives. Here is a list of the pros and cons of each of these backpacks to help you decide which is the one that best suits your needs and travel plans.
The best backpack for work and travel is the backpack that best suits your needs and the conditions of your trip. To choose the best backpack for you, try to define your needs and if the item in mind covers all of them. If you think that backpack will also serve you for future trips, then it might be the right one.
In addition, consider how comfortable the backpack is before buying it, especially if you are a frequent traveler. You will likely spend a lot of time, perhaps hours, with your backpack strapped to your back. Therefore, having a backpack that feels comfortable is essential.
Last but not least, you may want to take appearance into account. Although this factor is not vital, it can add that extra touch to a backpack. After all, you may want a backpack that — besides being practical, functional, and comfortable — also looks great and complements your style. Have a look at our article on the best carry on backpack for air travel for more information.
When choosing the right backpack for you, it is essential to know what features to look at before making your choice. So that you have an idea of what details to consider when buying your backpack, here is a list of what qualities to look for in a backpack to work while you travel.
Weight is a significant factor when choosing the right backpack. If you are going to spend a lot of time carrying the backpack, it’s best to choose one without excess weight in the design that can make it uncomfortable when traveling. There’s nothing better than a backpack that, in addition to keeping your things safe, is also light and easy to carry.
When it comes to your travel bag, size does matter. And it is a factor that can make the difference between bringing your backpack with you as a carry-on or having to check it at the gate. If you are an on-the-go traveler and need to move constantly and quickly, try to choose a backpack that you can easily fit in any hand luggage compartment or that you can carry with you comfortably. This may mean not choosing a backpack with wheels, large handles, rods, or accessories that make it impractical to carry.
The durability of the material and the construction of the backpack are also vital. It would be a shame to have a backpack that ends up breaking or opening due to low-quality materials and losing any of your belongings in the middle of the trip.
The handle and straps may not seem like such an important feature to consider. But the truth is that they can make a big difference between a good backpack and an impractical and bulky one. Try to make sure that the handle and the straps of your backpack are safe, comfortable, and are well attached to the backpack. Verify that they do not take up more space than necessary and are fixed in places that are also comfortable for you. The right straps can even make that not-so-cool backpack the best pick in the store.
Functionality is a crucial feature of a backpack for travelers. Considering the number of things you usually need to take with you, this is an important detail to consider when choosing the best travel backpack since it would be worthless to have an eye-catching backpack that does not fit all the things you need to take with you.
No matter which bag you choose, be sure to keep longevity in mind so that your newest travel companion can explore the world with you for years to come.